Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
Sign in to follow this  
Sneddon25

Failed specials interview.

Sneddon25

Unfortunately I've just received an email letting me know I've failed my interview to join the specials. I'm absolutely gutted as I thought I'd done really well.

What are my options now? Do i have to wait 6 months to re apply can I keep my score and swap to another force?

Any information would be greatly appreciated as I'm not sure where I stand now.

Thanks

Klaus
11 minutes ago, Sneddon25 said:

Unfortunately I've just received an email letting me know I've failed my interview to join the specials. I'm absolutely gutted as I thought I'd done really well.

What are my options now? Do i have to wait 6 months to re apply can I keep my score and swap to another force?

Any information would be greatly appreciated as I'm not sure where I stand now.

Thanks

You can either wait 6 months and re-apply to the same force, or contact another force and see if they'll accept a transferred assessment centre score.

It is only if you fail at the assessment centre stage that you're not allowed to apply to another force for 6 months, so if you passed that and then failed at a force interview, you can go ahead straight away.

Member Achievements

Sneddon25

Thanks for the help Klaus. I didn't actually attend an assessment centre. I passed a PIRT test so would I still have a score to transfer?

Sneddon25

Thanks for the help Klaus. I didn't actually attend an assessment centre. I passed a PIRT test so would I still have a score to transfer?

Member1

The recruitment process for specials vary from force to force pal. Your best bet would to be contact HR Rectuitment for the force you were unsuccessful, and get advice from them. Following that, contact a neighbouring force and ask for their advice on what you can do. 

Don't be too disheartened by the process, think of it as a learning curve. Don't give up and show willing! Also I would strongly recommend making a note of the questions they asked and the replies you gave, analysing it and seeing where you can improve. If you join the regs, the questions won't be too different in interview.

Many police officers have been unsuccessful but they've come back strong! Dispite having a wealth of experience and academic qualifications, I was unsuccessful the first time I applied as a special, then unsuccessful when I applied to become a PCSO, but became one after lots of determination. I'm now a reg. You'll get there!

Member Achievements

Sneddon25

Thanks LG93. I'm not receiving any feedback of the interview which is very frustrating but I will get there!

Sneddon25

Thanks LG93. I'm not receiving any feedback of the interview which is very frustrating but I will get there!

Member1

The recruitment process for specials vary from force to force pal. Your best bet would to be contact HR Rectuitment for the force you were unsuccessful, and get advice from them. Following that, contact a neighbouring force and ask for their advice on what you can do. 

Don't be too disheartened by the process, think of it as a learning curve. Don't give up and show willing! Also I would strongly recommend making a note of the questions they asked and the replies you gave, analysing it and seeing where you can improve. If you join the regs, the questions won't be too different in interview.

Many police officers have been unsuccessful but they've come back strong! Dispite having a wealth of experience and academic qualifications, I was unsuccessful the first time I applied as a special, then unsuccessful when I applied to become a PCSO, but became one after lots of determination. I'm now a reg. You'll get there!

Member Achievements

ParochialYokal

I don't want to be too disheartening but there is a huge disparity in the story that you tell between your own self-awareness and the perception that others have of you.

You thought that you did really well but you failed the interview. These two positions are poles apart.

Many unsuitable candidates don't get to interview stage, so to fail a Specials interview is a shame.

Rather than rushing into anything, you need to understand why you failed. You clearly don't at this point. Getting feedback is a good starting point. But why not try to write down your memory of what was asked and the responses that you have?

You may have failed as a result of a 'red flag' statement (e.g. Something discriminatory or otherwise not 'politically correct')? Or, you could have failed because you did not adequately evidence your skills / capabilities?

Not only are the questions widely predictable, the criteria by which they are evaluated is not a secret. It's like having both the exam paper and the answers published online. So, do your research! I am not suggesting 'cheating', but anyone should be able to fit their life experiences within the mould of the questions that they can reasonably be expected to be asked. If you can't, then you don't cut the mustard.

I really wouldn't reapply until you can be confident of understanding why you failed and can also reassure yourself that your next interview will have a different outcome. Multiple applications and associated rejections immediately make a candidate appear to be undesirable.

I am not trying to put you off. I am just suggesting that you take a step back, breath and self-reflect.

Take this rejection on the chin. It happens to all of us :) But rather than accept "it's not you it's me", you should accept that it is you and you need to radically change your approach.

Sent from my iPhone usring Police Community

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Sneddon25

Thanks, like I've mentioned I'm not receiving any feedback due to the amount of applicants. My approach is to start from scratch regarding my answers. I was very nervous at the interview so I'm thinking that could of been something to do with.