Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
lynsmc85

Starting Training

lynsmc85

I am starting my training next month for Specials with Police Scotland.

Anyone got any tips on things I should buy to help, ie books, apps etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

• Like 1

leonidas

Don't buy anything you be given everything once you get there look at PACE . And research the role of a special constable

Sent from my SM-G850F using the Police Community App

Edited by David
'txt tlk' removed - Can we ask all members to avoid its use, thanks

Member Achievements

JD180

Got myself a little app on my phone "PocketSGT", haven't started training yet. But have found it good to have a little look through and try and familiarise  myself with bits and bobs that will pop up in class.

• Like 3

Member Achievements

ashb2142
Got myself a little app on my phone "PocketSGT", haven't started training yet. But have found it good to have a little look through and try and familiarise  myself with bits and bobs that will pop up in class.

I also recommend this app

• Like 1

MajorDisaster
8 hours ago, leonidas said:

Don't buy anything you be given everything once you get there look at PACE . And research the role of a special constable

Sent from my SM-G850F using the Police Community App

PACE doesn't apply to Scotland

• Like 2

Member Achievements

Milankovitch

The app will be useless as we have a different legal system in Scotland. There's not really anything catering for Scottish officers when it comes to books and apps, there used to be a Scottish version of the beat officers companion but that hasn't been updated for years now. As mentioned PACE doesn't apply either.

I'd just hang fire until you start, once you've started the jury manual can be good at explaining offences in simple terms to help you learn but it doesn't cover a lot of more minor stuff.

• Like 1

Milankovitch

Not that I know of, the ones mentioned earlier might have the odd bit of legislation that applies up here as well (traffic stuff etc) but even then something as simple as the definition of a road is different. I wouldn't rely on an app anyway, using a personal mobile phone on duty seems to be something they are keen to clamp down on right now.

• Like 1

lynsmc85

It was more for studying and reading over whilst training. Never crossed my mind whilst on duty didn't know you could

Milankovitch

There's really not a lot out there for Scots law, as mentioned jury manual is about the only thing that springs to mind as it is for judges to explain offences to people who likely have no legal knowledge at all.

• Like 1

Scot

Once you start training you'll (hopefully) be given a sign in to the Scottish Police College online site which would allow you to access learning material.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Mazza

I am starting my training next month for Specials with Police Scotland.
Anyone got any tips on things I should buy to help, ie books, apps etc?

When you start, you'll get a MASSIVE folder full of all your course material. That'll cover your arrest/detentions, powers of search, all the basics you need to get out on the street. Then you'll get access to the e-learning portal and there's a big legislative manual on there you can study.

I wouldn't bother trying to get a head start because the college want you to learn things their way and in their order. Enjoy your time off before you start! Where are you going to be based?

• Like 1

Member Achievements

lynsmc85

Thanks for that. Going to Q division

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David