BBC News: Manu Tuilagi admits assaulting police officer

stoppedreality

stoppedreality

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-32757633

Manu Tuilagi admits assaulting police officer

·         22 minutes ago

·         From the sectionLeicester

Manu Tuilagi has played for England since 2011

England rugby player Manu Tuilagi will not play in this year's World Cup after admitting assaulting a police officer, head coach Stuart Lancaster has said.

Tuilagi, 23, who plays for Leicester Tigers, was fined £6,205 when he appeared before magistrates.

He had been charged with two counts of assaulting a police officer, assault by beating and causing criminal damage, the Crown Prosecution Service said.

Lancaster said he would not be considered for England until 2016.

The court heard Tuilagi assaulted the officer in the early hours of 26 April.

He had missed most of the season after suffering a groin injury but had hoped to return to the national side.

'Role model'

"As role models and ambassadors for the game, the highest standards of behaviour are expected from every England player both on and off the field," Lancaster said.

"Having spoken to Manu, he understands and accepts both the seriousness of the offences to which he has pleaded guilty and the consequences of his behaviour to his club, country and the game as a whole."

Tuilagi's misdemeanours

§  Tuilagi was warned by police and fined £3,000 by England rugby officials for jumping from a ferry in Auckland in 2011 during the World Cup

§  He was fined £4,800 by the International Rugby Board for wearing an unapproved mouthguard carrying the name of a sponsor

§  The Leicester centre was also banned for five weeks in May 2011 for punching Northampton's Chris Ashton

Tuilagi said: "I take full responsibility for my actions and unreservedly apologise to all those involved in the incident, Leicester Tigers and England.

"It is something I deeply regret and I totally accept the sentence given by the court. The club and Stuart have been very supportive and I understand their sanctions too.

"I know, as an England player, the need to conduct myself as a good role model for the game. I am very disappointed because my actions have let so many people down and I can only hope for a future chance to prove myself again."

Two things from me..

1) I really hope I never get assaulted by an international-standard rugby player, ouch!

2) Good to see decisive action from the English rugby team, that's a bit more than a one or two match ban that a football player would get, missing the World Cup can ruin someone's career.

Fedster

That guy is massive! video below of him punching a fellow player, ouch!

he should also write a letter of apology to offices he decided to beat, that is totally out of order, you don't hit people just because you can.

Edited by tru
error