Policey_Man

Transferring forces - What was your experience like?

Would you transfer?   23 members have voted

1. 1. Your views on transferring...

• I have - and it was a good move. I'm glad I transferred.
    • I have - it was alright, but part of me wishes I stayed where I was.
    • I have - but, it was a mistake.
    • I haven't - but, I do want to transfer to another force.
    • I've haven't - but I might transfer in the future.
    • I haven't - and I don't intend to transfer either.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

25 posts in this topic

There appears to be quite a few forces out there that are open for transferees at Constable level at the moment. As recruitment for PCs looks like it is starting picking up, its a timely topic as transferees offer a quick, cheap and easy way to get experienced officers into a force without the need to provide the costly basic training.

So, has anybody on here ever transferred forces?

Can you tell us about your experience of going through the process? What was it like? Why did you choose to transfer? Were the forces significantly different and what sort of impact did that make? What was it like knowing how to do the job on the street, but not knowing the area, the local policies and procedures, your new force's systems, etc. Did you regret it or was it the right move? What tips would you give to others who are considering a transfer? And the key question - if you could rewind, would you do it again?

Edited by Policey_Man
1 person likes this

Member Achievements

Great thread idea. I'll be starting at a Force away from home hoping to transfer as soon as I finish probation.

1 person likes this

Member Achievements

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 22:35, TheCu said:

Great thread idea. I'll be starting at a Force away from home hoping to transfer as soon as I finish probation.

Thanks.... I'm glad I started it. I'm learning a lot here, aren't you? ;p

Member Achievements

Can anyone add anything to this? Been lots of transferee vacancies and lots of people moving around in the past year or so....

Member Achievements

Not a transferee my self but good friends with someone who has done it. Essentially bigger area to cover, less of you but more focus on policing as calls triaged better by comms and the kit seems to be better. If you need back up though you're looking at 20 minutes from another division if all the rest of your team are tied up, single crewing is the norm too but he has taser.

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

1 person likes this

Member Achievements

Currently going through the process at the moment, I'll keep you posted on how it goes!!   :smileys-police-387259:

At the moment, I've had to complete an application assessed against the Constable Framework which was 500 words following the STAR (Situation, Task, Action and Result) model and I've sat the interview board which I've both passed. Just waiting on my medical and vetting to come through then hopefully a confirmed offer! 

I'm aware there is a two or three week introductory training period and then you're posted. It'll take a lot longer than that to learn all of the different systems and policies.

1 person likes this

Member Achievements

So.

The process - nearly as lengthy and in depth as joining fresh out the box which  was in some respects quite off putting. Took me a year due to a discipline issue but if the spanner hadn't been thrown in the works it would have been around...6-7 months?

The training - shocking. Police forces are completely different to each other - even down to legal interpretation. I received two days of training. This included sitting down and setting up basic IT, warrant cars photos, uniform collection (see below) and a few e-learning packages to get very basic IT systems. I landed on team and they expected a competent pc to deploy and what they got was a competent PC from.a.differnt force whose policy/procedure knowledge was wildly different to their expectations! I received a couple of shifts with someone and I then got injured in an arrest and spent weeks on restricted. I've muddled my way since then. Operationally I'm sound and many people are happy with my street work, but paperwork/policy I'm worse trained than a probationer who hasn't even been tutored yet. 6 months in my new force and I'm still basically working the way I did in Merseyside and only adjusting when I get told I've done something 'wrong'. There's various small compulsory training courses for Kent I haven't recieved, I asked for, chased up and now I've given up. As for supplementary training I've pretty much been told that I'm bottom of the pile as last through the door...

Administration - treated like a second class citizen. Uniform wasn't ready and it seems transferees are a strange breed. I was told by stores that I 'didnt need a baton and handcuffs' as I had been issued them by my previous force. They seemed confused by the idea that I hadn't brought my belt kit from Merseyside. It took me 5 months to get a work phone which is vital for comms as my BCU don't use point to point (don't ask!). It took 3 months for my first collar number badge, 4 months for my single pair of epaulette and 6 months later I'm.still waiting for my sliders for public order. 4 months waiting to get a body worn video camera. My tax code has been messed up for 6 months and originally HR thought I was a 'winsor' PC and we're going to put my salary as Winsor payscales which would have been about 5 thousand less!

The job - Im struggling with the workload massively because we are basically running a caseload that a DC would have had in Merseyside in CID but also we are the busiest response BCU and finding time to do ANY meaningful.crime investigation is a hard task. The old joke of missing refs is a reality - zero cares given about you missing refs or being turned out of refs even with hot food - to the extent that they even turn you out of refs for prioritised NON-immediatecalls now. Late off most shifts, and due to short staffing and a culture of not being able to handover to the next team I've had probably a dozen shifts so far where I've worked in excess of 15 hours. Single crewing 3/4 of the time and a section that's probably half basic drivers yet we are so busy basic drivers are used as response cars else no-one could go to the calls at all - this is causing pressure as it's a relatively large area with heavy traffic - a few weeks ago in traffic it took me 45 minutes to get to an immediate call disturbance which was 16 miles away across the BCU and that was me driving robustly yet still within the confines of the highway code (I'm only basic). I used to be a very proactive officer. Now I'm plate spinning just to keep put of the brown stuff and have no time for proactivity. I find the IT systems and linked processes both archaic and chaotic - most things take me twice as long if not more than they did in my previous force and the back office support like CJU just isn't there in my new force meaning I do far more, with less time and less support.

The team - a good bunch. Friendly from the outset. Good banter. Not the social life I'm used to on team however, but c'est la vie.

Supervision - pretty happy with Supervision actually. I can be a bit like marmite because of my outspoken nature but so far the sergeants have taken me in the manner intended and the Inspectors similarly.

The future - just as I've transferred it transpires my new force are changing the model (NOT MENTIONED DURING MY TRANSFER PROCESS) and we have had to apply for our roles and postings again. There is a chance i will be press ganged into a uniformed domestic violence team which has all the downsides of such work for a uniformed.PCs career aspirations and none of the benefits of CID as kt is remaining a PIP level 1 role, uniformed, crop shifts and due to the nature of the role extremely limited opportunities for development. There is discussion that this is being changed to a rotational basis which would soften the blow slightly but a rotation of 12 months has been rumoured which is a long time. Had I known of this possibility I can say that I would not have transferred.

Overall - I have a very healthy respect for the  PCs in my new force as they certainly earn their money on response. However, sometimes you need to be selfish and think of yourself.

If I could go back a year or so I wouldn't have transferred. I had a more manageable role, time to be proactive, was held in high regard, had a good work social life, found the IT systems intuitive and my salary went ALOT further in the north.

That is specific to my circumstances though. I have worked for 3 forces now and I imagine I will be on at least 4 forces by the time I retire...

2 people like this

Member Achievements

@MerseyLLB, great posting there, interesting to see some of the issues.

As an aside, I thought you were response in Merseyside, weren't you able to transfer that over?

Member Achievements

3 minutes ago, Policey_Man said:

@MerseyLLB, great posting there, interesting to see some of the issues.

As an aside, I thought you were response in Merseyside, weren't you able to transfer that over?

No failed the course in MerPol (insert generic sad face).

Sorry I should have added that in General Kent were good in that respect that they accepted transfer of pretty much any skill but require validation or refresher in the Kent process.

I was able to transfer with my OST/FIT/PNC which were validated in my arrival and then copied over immediately. My national NCALT training record was pushed over as well which was useful and saved me a good few hours.

I was allowed to transfer as a public order and MoE trained officer so I ordered my kit on my first day but before I could be used for operations I was put on a refresher after a couple of weeks of being in Kent.

I am aware of transferees in the past few months who, on the same basis as my public order MoE in that they were considered trained but required a refresher/assessment, have brought across POLSA, LSO, EGT, standard/advanced driving, taser, PIP level 2, ABE interviewing, CBRN and probably others.

Having spoken to people before who have transferred forces Kent in this respect are very accommodating as some forces refuse to accept previous training - even response drivers transferring to the likes of the Met and being told they are now only basic!

Member Achievements

5 minutes ago, MerseyLLB said:

I was able to transfer with my OST/FIT/PNC which were validated in my arrival and then copied over immediately. My national NCALT training record was pushed over as well which was useful and saved me a good few hours.

The NCALT thing is really good to know.... saves several days of deja vu!

5 minutes ago, MerseyLLB said:

Having spoken to people before who have transferred forces Kent in this respect are very accommodating as some forces refuse to accept previous training - even response drivers transferring to the likes of the Met and being told they are now only basic!

Response and Advanced driving is taught to a national standard, so I'd be very interested to hear the justification of not accepting courses that have an agreed national syllabus - Public order is the same. I know that used to be common for the Met to require check drives for response and advanced, but it's mad not to accept the skill transfer full stop. I've never heard of them refusing it... it makes a mockery of the national syllabus, but nothing surprises me these days!..

I get that basic is not transferable because that's a local skill, done to local standards only... so fair enough with that.

Member Achievements

20 hours ago, MerseyLLB said:

So.

The process - nearly as lengthy and in depth as joining fresh out the box which  was in some respects quite off putting. Took me a year due to a discipline issue but if the spanner hadn't been thrown in the works it would have been around...6-7 months?

The training - shocking. Police forces are completely different to each other - even down to legal interpretation. I received two days of training. This included sitting down and setting up basic IT, warrant cars photos, uniform collection (see below) and a few e-learning packages to get very basic IT systems. I landed on team and they expected a competent pc to deploy and what they got was a competent PC from.a.differnt force whose policy/procedure knowledge was wildly different to their expectations! I received a couple of shifts with someone and I then got injured in an arrest and spent weeks on restricted. I've muddled my way since then. Operationally I'm sound and many people are happy with my street work, but paperwork/policy I'm worse trained than a probationer who hasn't even been tutored yet. 6 months in my new force and I'm still basically working the way I did in Merseyside and only adjusting when I get told I've done something 'wrong'. There's various small compulsory training courses for Kent I haven't recieved, I asked for, chased up and now I've given up. As for supplementary training I've pretty much been told that I'm bottom of the pile as last through the door...

Administration - treated like a second class citizen. Uniform wasn't ready and it seems transferees are a strange breed. I was told by stores that I 'didnt need a baton and handcuffs' as I had been issued them by my previous force. They seemed confused by the idea that I hadn't brought my belt kit from Merseyside. It took me 5 months to get a work phone which is vital for comms as my BCU don't use point to point (don't ask!). It took 3 months for my first collar number badge, 4 months for my single pair of epaulette and 6 months later I'm.still waiting for my sliders for public order. 4 months waiting to get a body worn video camera. My tax code has been messed up for 6 months and originally HR thought I was a 'winsor' PC and we're going to put my salary as Winsor payscales which would have been about 5 thousand less!

The job - Im struggling with the workload massively because we are basically running a caseload that a DC would have had in Merseyside in CID but also we are the busiest response BCU and finding time to do ANY meaningful.crime investigation is a hard task. The old joke of missing refs is a reality - zero cares given about you missing refs or being turned out of refs even with hot food - to the extent that they even turn you out of refs for prioritised NON-immediatecalls now. Late off most shifts, and due to short staffing and a culture of not being able to handover to the next team I've had probably a dozen shifts so far where I've worked in excess of 15 hours. Single crewing 3/4 of the time and a section that's probably half basic drivers yet we are so busy basic drivers are used as response cars else no-one could go to the calls at all - this is causing pressure as it's a relatively large area with heavy traffic - a few weeks ago in traffic it took me 45 minutes to get to an immediate call disturbance which was 16 miles away across the BCU and that was me driving robustly yet still within the confines of the highway code (I'm only basic). I used to be a very proactive officer. Now I'm plate spinning just to keep put of the brown stuff and have no time for proactivity. I find the IT systems and linked processes both archaic and cihaotic - most things take me twice as long if not more than they did in my previous force and the back office support like CJU just isn't there in my new force meaning I do far more, with less time and less support.

The team - a good bunch. Friendly from the outset. Good banter. Not the social life I'm used to on team however, but c'est la vie.

Supervision - pretty happy with Supervision actually. I can be a bit like marmite because of my outspoken nature but so far the sergeants have taken me in the manner intended and the Inspectors similarly.

The future - just as I've transferred it transpires my new force are changing the model (NOT MENTIONED DURING MY TRANSFER PROCESS) and we have had to apply for our roles and postings again. There is a chance i will be press ganged into a uniformed domestic violence team which has all the downsides of such work for a uniformed.PCs career aspirations and none of the benefits of CID as kt is remaining a PIP level 1 role, uniformed, crop shifts and due to the nature of the role extremely limited opportunities for development. There is discussion that this is being changed to a rotational basis which would soften the blow slightly but a rotation of 12 months has been rumoured which is a long time. Had I known of this possibility I can say that I would not have transferred.

Overall - I have a very healthy respect for the  PCs in my new force as they certainly earn their money on response. However, sometimes you need to be selfish and think of yourself.

If I could go back a year or so I wouldn't have transferred. I had a more manageable role, time to be proactive, was held in high regard, had a good work social life, found the IT systems intuitive and my salary went ALOT further in the north.

That is specific to my circumstances though. I have worked for 3 forces now and I imagine I will be on at least 4 forces by the time I retire...

Administration - Going to agree with you, stores is absolutely rubbish, takes forever to order things, and never on time.  Same with a job phone, asked for one when I started, and 7 months on, still not been issued one. I'm not bothered about the new phablet, just a job phone where I can short dial or not use my own phone to contact people... Decided that if the job isn't going to issue me with a job phone, I'll just use my radio as a phone instead. As for epaulettes, rather surprised as they did all of those in house rather than ordering it, and it should be really quick.. 

The job - What division/district are you on? Based on what you're saying, sound like you're on North and sounds like XA...  I don't know what it is like to be a transferee, but you've drawn a short straw to be deployed to the busiest district, definitely no time to transition properly, or learn the ropes with Kent's system. Unfortunately it sucks that you aren't able to do anything proactive, North is the busiest  division, and it is supposed to be the busiest area to police outside of London. I would definitely consider transferring to West, much more manageable district, and depending which one, loads of chances to be proactive, especially on Lates. West, seems to have less calls, and more time to really breathe, so you wouldn't be sent to calls when on refs, unless it is an immediate and no one else to go. Some teams get over an hour on refs depending on the shift... Not sure what East is like, however East is similar to North in terms of staffing so, you would be fairly short on teams.. 

The future - As a transferee, are you not considered to be on probation per-se? I see the new model, as yes it is rubbish, and yes you might get screwed if you dont get the role you want, however I see it as a new opportunity to develop your skills' and even to start your DC portfolio. If you consider what skills you have, so FIT, PNC, L2 + MoE, you stand a much better chance of staying on LPT rather than sent to somewhere you dont want to go. 

I sound like I am raving about how good Kent is, and I am merely trying to shine it on a positive outlook on your experience so far.  Definitely consider a transfer to a different area, and you realise how much of a hole north is

Member Achievements

5 hours ago, miffy said:

Administration - Going to agree with you, stores is absolutely rubbish, takes forever to order things, and never on time.  Same with a job phone, asked for one when I started, and 7 months on, still not been issued one. I'm not bothered about the new phablet, just a job phone where I can short dial or not use my own phone to contact people... Decided that if the job isn't going to issue me with a job phone, I'll just use my radio as a phone instead. As for epaulettes, rather surprised as they did all of those in house rather than ordering it, and it should be really quick.. 

The job - What division/district are you on? Based on what you're saying, sound like you're on North and sounds like XA...  I don't know what it is like to be a transferee, but you've drawn a short straw to be deployed to the busiest district, definitely no time to transition properly, or learn the ropes with Kent's system. Unfortunately it sucks that you aren't able to do anything proactive, North is the busiest  division, and it is supposed to be the busiest area to police outside of London. I would definitely consider transferring to West, much more manageable district, and depending which one, loads of chances to be proactive, especially on Lates. West, seems to have less calls, and more time to really breathe, so you wouldn't be sent to calls when on refs, unless it is an immediate and no one else to go. Some teams get over an hour on refs depending on the shift... Not sure what East is like, however East is similar to North in terms of staffing so, you would be fairly short on teams.. 

The future - As a transferee, are you not considered to be on probation per-se? I see the new model, as yes it is rubbish, and yes you might get screwed if you dont get the role you want, however I see it as a new opportunity to develop your skills' and even to start your DC portfolio. If you consider what skills you have, so FIT, PNC, L2 + MoE, you stand a much better chance of staying on LPT rather than sent to somewhere you dont want to go. 

I sound like I am raving about how good Kent is, and I am merely trying to shine it on a positive outlook on your experience so far.  Definitely consider a transfer to a different area, and you realise how much of a hole north is

No probation, they're stuck with me.

Reading back I think I was having a bad day yesterday but what I stated was true.

You'd be correct in thinking I'm at the top of the compass...

From my understanding the new vulnerability team will NOT provide any better evidence for Detective portfolio than investigations on section already provides and frankly the vulnerability team was not what I agreed to transfer to. Clearly the Horizon plan was already being formulated when I was sent my offer and I feel this should have been raised by HR. I accepted that the postting location would be based on demand but in terms of role that was a key consideration in my transfer as my career aspirations currently lie in uniform.

As an additional aside I wasn't supported to do my Sgts part 1 as I was new to force however I had been supported in my previous force. It seems that the benefits of transferring can be summed up as nil as it stands and I would be in better stead had I been a probationer - which seems ludicrous.

There are alot of ideas and innovations in Kent which I like however this post for me, as I said, is about being selfish and considering the transfer experience as a whole. 

Member Achievements

On 02/03/2017 at 02:04, Policey_Man said:

The NCALT thing is really good to know.... saves several days of deja vu!

Response and Advanced driving is taught to a national standard, so I'd be very interested to hear the justification of not accepting courses that have an agreed national syllabus - Public order is the same. I know that used to be common for the Met to require check drives for response and advanced, but it's mad not to accept the skill transfer full stop. I've never heard of them refusing it... it makes a mockery of the national syllabus, but nothing surprises me these days!..

I get that basic is not transferable because that's a local skill, done to local standards only... so fair enough with that.

I've spoken to an officer who was Kent and came to the Met and they didn't recognise his response driver training and so he reverted to basic and 7 years later hasn't been given a  course so is still basic.

Member Achievements

Posted (edited)

I tried to transfer but failed the force interview as I couldn't answer the question: "Give an example of when you've managed a local policing strategy to meet the needs of the community" satisfactorily. My example (a 6 month plan I introduced to reduce shoplifting in my ward when I was on SNT) was rejected because the assessors considered it was meeting the needs of the police by reducing crime figures and not meeting the needs of the community..

So I wish I could provide you input as a transferee, but sadly I didn't get close because of an abritrary question!

Edited by Klaus

Member Achievements

I tried to transfer but failed the force interview as I couldn't answer the question: "Give an example of when you've managed a local policing strategy to meet the needs of the community" satisfactorily. My example (a 6 month plan I introduced to reduce shoplifting in my ward when I was on SNT) was rejected because the assessors considered it was meeting the needs of the police by reducing crime figures and not meeting the needs of the community..
So I wish I could provide you input as a transferee, but sadly I didn't get close because of an abritrary question!

The best answer to that is regular complaints about speeding and community fearing for children's lives at school times. You attended at school times with laser gun and all the parents, school, children, road users kept safe ..10/10.

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

Member Achievements