BBC: General election 2017: MPs back plans for 8 June poll

Chief Bakes

• Management

May to seek snap election for 8 June

Breaking News image

UK PM Theresa May announces plan to call snap general election on 8 June.

She said Britain needed certainty, stability and strong leadership following the EU referendum.

Watch the Downing Street announcement here

Laura Kuenssberg: May's election U-turn

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh the page for the fullest version.

If you want to receive Breaking News alerts via email, or on a smartphone or tablet via the BBC News App then details on how to do so are available on this help page. You can also follow @BBCBreaking on Twitter to get the latest alerts.

View the full article

Well the good news is Jeremy, John and Diane will be swept away back into political oblivion; hopefully Labour will move more to the centre and provide a realistic opposition; find someone within their ranks to support the police and challenge the government regarding some of the more extreme elements of reform and; I now know what I am doing on the 8th June

• Like 1

I watched the original announcement and repeats since. IMHO, what she was saying was initially she did not want a re-election following the referendum, however, it is THE biggest issue of a generation and too many politicians are playing silly games. Therefore, the people and politicians have a choice - continue to play games and she will lose or grow up and help her to achieve Brexit to our best advantage.

• Like 1

She will have the mandate of the electorate and hopefully shut the remoaners up.

2 hours ago, Zulu 22 said:

She will have the mandate of the electorate and hopefully shut the remoaners up.

Remoaners have a lot to genuinely moan about. 

• Management

Can't help feeling like this is a decision that will come back and bite her.

Eg, lets have a referendum, the public won't vote to leave.........
Eg, let Trump stand, he'll never win anyway.............

Of course it may well be that May will win, this will of course then give her 5 more years, some years that will see us will past the leaving date of article 50.  I think there is more to this than meets the eye.  I'm not convinced she'll win with as big a majority she thinks she will, after all it's not unknown for people to make that vote a protest vote.

It potentially gives her a way out like Boris and others took - but as it's decided via the ballot box, she looks less cowardly than they did.

• Management

General election 2017: MPs back plans for 8 June poll

Breaking News image

A UK general election will be held on 8 June after MPs backed Prime Minister Theresa May's call for a snap poll.

The House of Commons backed the PM by a margin of 522 votes to 13, above the two-thirds majority needed, as Labour and the Lib Dems supported the move.

The PM has argued a fresh mandate would strengthen her hand in Brexit talks and provide certainty for the future.

Jeremy Corbyn welcomed the poll but accused the PM of changing her mind and breaking promises on a range of issues.

The next general election had been expected in 2020, but the Fixed Term Parliaments Act allows for one to be held earlier if two-thirds of MPs back the move.

Defending the measure, Mrs May told MPs there was a "window of opportunity" to hold a poll before Brexit negotiations begin in earnest in June and that the country needed "strong leadership" to make a success of the process.

View the full article

2 hours ago, Techie1 said:

George Osborne is stepping down

https://t.co/lZTzko2kIL

Living in his constituency I can say that he has lost a lot of support over his actions over the last 12 months. His constituency is under review of the boundary changes and was set up to be swallowed up by surrounding constituencies.