H-H

Direct/Graduate Entry

26 posts in this topic

Cathedral Bobby I see your point however subbies straight out of RMAS may find themselves in command of a platoon of 30 blokes, making equally serious decisions. Granted, the boundaries of those decisions may be easier to manage but not always.

I'd argue that some captains and majors are promoted after only a few years, many of which are spent behind a desk anyway.

I suppose that the direct entry program relies heavily on the selection process and on candidates having an excellent awareness of their specific limitations.

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

I reckon it was silly to make direct entry inspector and scrap the 3 year fast track. If they had to keep one, they should have kept the latter and revised it to be a 5 year programme.

Member Achievements

Is the direct entry Inspector system not essentially a three year fast track anyway? I recall reading what was proposed initially which was a three year programme but not quite sure if the structure of what was implemented.

Member Achievements

I believe it's parallel to the fast track, but includes IPLDP where the fast track candidates remain on rota

We've just received our first direct entry Inspector. They're absolutely terrible  and nobody enjoys working with them and they receive no respect. I've worked with a fast track Inspector also and they were even worse.

In short, it's not nice but coming in externally via either the fast-track or direct routes will result in everyone disliking you, regardless of how good you are.  And based on my experience (2 out of 2), you won't actually be good enough to deserve people liking you anyway.

So yes, people dislike the scheme and people coming in externally via it, and it doesn't create good leaders or officers! If your friend wants to become a supervisor then he should come in as a normal PC, and if he is really that good then he can make Sgt after 2 years and then Inspector after another 2, and he'll have a lot more respect for doing it the hard way.

Member Achievements

9 hours ago, Klaus said:

If your friend wants to become a supervisor then he should come in as a normal PC, and if he is really that good then he can make Sgt after 2 years and then Inspector after another 2, and he'll have a lot more respect for doing it the hard way.

How many sergeants with 2 years service get respect for 'doing it the hard way'? How many inspectors with 4-5 years service get respect?

In my experience, it doesn't matter which way you do it, if you don't meet the arbitrary threshold of years of service [depending on the opinions of the nearest old sweat] before undertaking the role, you won't get a whole lot of respect.

I don't agree with these direct entry schemes, but if you want to be an inspector you may as well go for it. Doing it the 'hard' way won't get you noticeably more respect if you still do it in a short time.

Being bad at the job is another matter, but there are measures in place for this already; they're just never enforced.

Member Achievements

True. A/PSing at 2 years will still cause people to tut but it won't be as badly frowned upon as showing up brand new wearing pips as a direct entry.

Member Achievements

19 hours ago, Klaus said:

We've just received our first direct entry Inspector. They're absolutely terrible  and nobody enjoys working with them and they receive no respect. I've worked with a fast track Inspector also and they were even worse.

In short, it's not nice but coming in externally via either the fast-track or direct routes will result in everyone disliking you, regardless of how good you are.  And based on my experience (2 out of 2), you won't actually be good enough to deserve people liking you anyway.

So yes, people dislike the scheme and people coming in externally via it, and it doesn't create good leaders or officers! If your friend wants to become a supervisor then he should come in as a normal PC, and if he is really that good then he can make Sgt after 2 years and then Inspector after another 2, and he'll have a lot more respect for doing it the hard way.

What made them terrible to work with? Surely their first week or two, they are settling into the post, and would take some time to get the swing of things? Training will only give you so much experience before the need to have a practical/hands on experience. 

I think that some people judge too quickly, and give people stick before seeing what the officer is really like. Sure I get that joining as a Inspector or a Super, you'd expect them to have some experience and able to lead, but like allow fresh officers, how many were nervous when they joined area for the first time? Meeting new officers, and having suddenly the responsibility that the rank comes with, after coming from a training environment.

I see fast track a better option than direct entry, at least you know the officer has experience and has passed their probation period, compared to direct entry.

1 person likes this

Member Achievements

I see fast track a better option than direct entry, at least you know the officer has experience and has passed their probation period, compared to direct entry.

Do you know they've passed probation?

The fast track guys I knew a few years back were promoted in less than two years (I don't know how that works) and I know at least one was pretty much protected from all criticism through their short period as a PC.

Whilst they definitely served as a PC, it was in a very limited capacity.

Member Achievements

Are the issues with Direct Entry  Inspectors and above because there aren't very many of them? 

It would also be a but unfair (but inevitable) to compare an Inspector with 2 years service, to one who has 15 years service at all the intervening ranks.

Member Achievements

I think the issue is the scheme, the candidates as well as how they're selected and trained.

The fact is an inspector should be capable of being an inspector regardless of length of service. If they can't do the job to the right standard they shouldn't be taking the wage and wearing the pips. That's why the current method of acting and temping is better before promotion, it allows the job to weed out those who can't really do the job and let's people see if the next rank is for them with a safety net of reverting to their own rank below them.

These direct entry people are substantive from a year in and cannot be taken to the grade below because they're not competent in that either. We all know how bad the job is at getting rid of poor leaders.

It's just a disaster but as usual we're stuck with it.

1 person likes this

Member Achievements