Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
junior_7178

What would you do?

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I made contact with GMP HR by phone a few weeks ago requesting an application form for PC recruitment that is due to start soon afaik. I am aware they are not recruiting just yet but a GMP regular on here told me not to bother keep checking the website but to just ring up and ask them to send a form.

As expected they told me on the phone that they couldn't send me an application form yet but would send me an Expression of Interest form by email and that i should fill it in and email it back. I did this, but then received a letter in the post dated the next day saying "that they had tried to contact me by telephone & email without success and they needed some more information. Could i send that information in by email to the following address...blah blah blah". So i did.

The strange thing is they could only have got my postal address from my completed EOI form i initially sent and the addition info they asked for in the letter was just stuff that was also on the initial form i sent.

I gave it 48hrs then sent a follow up email asking if they could confirm receipt of my form. No response. 

I then left it 7 days and phoned up HR asking if they have received my form. They chap i spoke to gave me his personal work email and told me to send the information to him and he would submit it. I did this and again specifically asked for confirmation that he'd received it. I heard nothing for 3 days so sent ANOTHER email asking if he could confirm that they have received my EOI form and logged it. That was yesterday and as yet I've still not had a reply.

So out of numerous emails to GMP recruitment/HR using a few different email addresses, the only contact I've had back was by post saying that they wanted more information BECAUSE THEY COULDN'T CONTACT ME. You couldn't make it up.

I know some people will say don't panic it's only an EOI form, but my concern is that recruitment will open soon and they will turn round and say that it's only open to people who have submitted the interest form. Im sure there are many on here who will appreciate what you go through when trying to join the police and understand the sort of paranoia you get.

To top this off i applied to my local division for a 'Ride Along' to use as part of my application process. I had a reply from an 'Operations Assistant' who has never heard of a Ride Along but would get back to me. That was over a week ago. Guess what?...

I've also used their own online form to book a trip out as a 'Community Reporter' thinking this may be the only way to get on a Ride Along. Guess what?...

So it's got me thinking what should i do now. Do i just sit back and assume they did receive my form? If so, i think it's very poor that they don't acknowledge receipt whatsoever. I appreciate they are a busy department but it's quite easy to set up an Auto Response telling people that they'll get a proper reply within x amount of days. I'm worried that if i phone them up again and ask that I'll just be told to send it again by email, or I'll be logged and get my name known as a pain in the a**e.

Rant over.

Edited by junior_7178

The process can be slow but bear with it. If they have told you they will advise when they are re-opening the recruitment they will, generally that comes via email so just keep a daily check on them.
Good luck with the process. Again it can be long but go with the no news is good news and you will be fine as if there is a problem I believe they contact you immediately.

Sent from my E5823 using the Police Community App

8 minutes ago, NatNatC said:

The process can be slow but bear with it. If they have told you they will advise when they are re-opening the recruitment they will, generally that comes via email so just keep a daily check on them.
Good luck with the process. Again it can be long but go with the no news is good news and you will be fine as if there is a problem I believe they contact you immediately.

Thanks for the reply. 

Just to clarify, they haven't told me they'll advise when recruitment opens. They've told me to send them an Expression of Interest form, which i now can't get confirmation from them that they've received it. Ordinarily i wouldn't be over concerned, but they've sent me a postal letter saying they couldn't get hold of me. Plus i spoke to a real human being on the phone who told me if i sent it direct to him that he would process it and let me know. Now he hasn't replied to even say he's received it.

#frustrated

I understand your frustration, I think most of us feel it in the recruitment stage but honestly from personal experience of a similar process, it eventually works out :)

I have encountered something similar with my force beforr, at a much later stage than you. I can understand the frustration. I find it weird that HR send out application forms, usually they are sent through apollo oracle after doing the online tests.

HR are probably dealing with literally hundreds of emails a day, from different people, all wanting the same thing. My force had 2000 people express their interest for the role of PC in 2015. Emails will fall by the way side, because you are not the only person applying, or asking the same question.

Have a little patience and you will persevere. Remember, they don't really show a lot of interest until you are at a stage where you are likely to be successful, I wouldn't say they are obliged to let you know when it's open, considering how many others want the job as well. You're applying to be a PC, do some digging.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0