junior_7178

Application Form - Why do you wsnt to become a police officer?

11 posts in this topic

I'm after a bit of advice really and a sort of "what would/did you do?".

When filling out an initial application form how do you deal with the question "Why do you wish to become a police officer?"

I suspect for quite a few the honest answer would be something along the lines of "I've always wanted to join the Police. My father/Mother/Brother was a police officer. I want to catch bad people that do bad things and drive fast cars. The pay is quite good and so is the pension". I presume that is not what they want to hear.

I presume they want to hear some concoction of sentances from the Core Competencies jumbled into something sounding personal yet full off buzz words that nobody really uses in everyday conversation? 

I'm sure if you went around a nick and asked a cross section of serving officers this question you would get something along the lines of the former rather than the later. Yet i feel like I'm about to start playing some game rather than being myself and letting them decide if I'm a good candidate.

Penny for your thoughts...

4 minutes ago, junior_7178 said:

I presume they want to hear some concoction of sentances from the Core Competencies jumbled into something sounding personal yet full off buzz words that nobody really uses in everyday conversation? 

I think that sums it up quite well really :lol: 

Think of whether you have any transferable skills, or if you've had any prior experience in policing etc.

Member Achievements

24 minutes ago, junior_7178 said:

I'm after a bit of advice really and a sort of "what would/did you do?".

When filling out an initial application form how do you deal with the question "Why do you wish to become a police officer?"

I suspect for quite a few the honest answer would be something along the lines of "I've always wanted to join the Police. My father/Mother/Brother was a police officer. I want to catch bad people that do bad things and drive fast cars. The pay is quite good and so is the pension". I presume that is not what they want to hear.

I'm sure if you went around a nick and asked a cross section of serving officers this question you would get something along the lines of the former rather than the later. Yet i feel like I'm about to start playing some game rather than being myself and letting them decide if I'm a good candidate.

Penny for your thoughts...

I've had a good chat with an Inspector who has completed interviews for new recruits, and he said it's all good to hear core competencies and buzz words, but you do need to really think why you want to be a police officer. This job isn't well paid, good for social life and we deal with the negative part of life. If you  can't really think of a good reason to join other than core competencies, then you won't last long...

Be honest with your answer, and sure have buzzwords/core competencies. I initially joined up as it looked exciting, help community and everyday is different. Once joining up,  the reason I joined, is mainly helping them in their time of need, when you meet a genuine victim who are struggling, and you turn up, help them out, and you leave knowing that they are in a much better place. Of course flashing around to jobs is also a bonus ;) 

Member Achievements

Honestly, recruitment departments want to know why you want to be a cop. They don't want to hear a canned answer, and they can smell one a mile off. As long as you give a balanced answer that is sensible (I.e. NOT JUST I want to drive cars fast and lock people up) then they want to hear it.

So for example - if you want an exciting job that means you won't be stuck in front of a desk, then write that down. But think about the other things the job offers - job security, progression opportunity, the diverse range of roles you have access to.

Why do you want to be a cop? We can help you structure an answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

1 person likes this

Member Achievements

I've always had a passion for being able to feed myself.

1 person likes this

Member Achievements

I'm just coming to the end of my training and can remember how difficult it is to put into words why I wanted to become a police officer but be honest and think about the victim side of things 'Helping people'.

I'm just coming to the end of my training and can remember how difficult it is to put into words why I wanted to become a police officer but be honest and think about the victim side of things 'Helping people'.

To catch the Swans that are unlawfully at large for Mr. Peter Ian Staker obviously.

Sent from my SM-A520F using the Police Community App

2 people like this

Like it has been said,write something that is balanced and gives a good brief summary, you don't get a lot of space.

When they do the paper sift it's all about the score you get on the competency based questions, so don't worry what recruitment think about your reasons why you're joining. They will be marking hundreds and probably won't pay too much attention, tbh.

Make sure its based on your legitimate reasons though, as they may refer to it during an in force interview. The in force interview is what really counts,l to the force and you can go into more detail.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, gremindahouse said:

Like it has been said,write something that is balanced and gives a good brief summary, you don't get a lot of space.

When they do the paper sift it's all about the score you get on the competency based questions, so don't worry what recruitment think about your reasons why you're joining. They will be marking hundreds and probably won't pay too much attention, tbh.

Make sure its based on your legitimate reasons though, as they may refer to it during an in force interview. The in force interview is what really counts,l to the force and you can go into more detail.

I'm led to believe that there are no competency questions on the application form.

Apparently there is just 2 main questions. One being on why you want to be a Police officer, your skills, experience and how that would translate to the role of a PC and a second question asking you to give an example of how you have made a difference to the community. 

I'm led to believe that there are no competency questions on the application form.
Apparently there is just 2 main questions. One being on why you want to be a Police officer, your skills, experience and how that would translate to the role of a PC and a second question asking you to give an example of how you have made a difference to the community. 

It may depend what force you're applying for. I've seen a few variations which different forces use, either my own or friends, they have had four competency based questions plus four/five motivation based questions. To my knowledge, every force uses a standard College of Policing application, whether it's online based or hand written.