BBC: Orly airport: Man killed after taking soldier's gun

Chief Bakes

From the footage it looks like her colleague was patrolling a few metres in front of her completely oblivious to the commotion. It's a difficult situation, I'd be afraid of accidently shooting her when opening fire,  as he was so close to her. 

18 hours ago, obsidian_eclipse said:

Have you seen the cctv footage? He grabs the soldier from behind and appears to hold the air pistol to her head, I don't think anyone would risk chancing it being an air pistol whilst he shouts in her ear "I'm here to die for Allah. There will be deaths". I imagine her feelings at that point was it was all over for her.

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

No in all honesty I haven't seen the video

No in all honesty I haven't seen the video

The offender just looks like everyone else, he's carrying a shoulder bag as though he's just been in a store and walking in the same fashion as the rest of the people there. The soldiers are in a staggered formation patrolling away from the camera, as he gets close to the rear soldier he drops the bag and rushes forwards grabbing her by the shoulders and pulling her back. It's a few moments before the soldiers in front realise she's been grabbed and used as a human shield. Scary situation.

I've just edited to note. He was armed with a 9mm revolver loaded with bird shot. Not an air pistol. This was aimed at her head.

• Like 2

The confusion regarding air pistol came from reports of a police officer being hit in the cheek by pellets. This was a conventional firearm however. Bird shot is a standard cartridge which can contain many small lead pellets which spread similar to 'shot' in a shotgun. Of course, this can still be lethal up close or indeed point blank.

8 hours ago, obsidian_eclipse said:

The offender just looks like everyone else, he's carrying a shoulder bag as though he's just been in a store and walking in the same fashion as the rest of the people there. The soldiers are in a staggered formation patrolling away from the camera, as he gets close to the rear soldier he drops the bag and rushes forwards grabbing her by the shoulders and pulling her back. It's a few moments before the soldiers in front realise she's been grabbed and used as a human shield. Scary situation.

I've just edited to note. He was armed with a 9mm revolver loaded with bird shot. Not an air pistol. This was aimed at her head.

Thanks, I only briefly read the initial reports. It certainly seems like a poor choice given the fact I have never seen French troops patrol in anything less than 3's. 

• Like 1