Techie1

Telegraph: Police tell town they will not chase shoplifters who steal less than £100

51 posts in this topic

With any luck it will encourage shops to put their security guards out the front or walking round rather than watching them on CCTV then stopping them as they try to leave

Member Achievements

More fake news. The officer put it poorly but what has been said was that the police will have to (continue) to prioritise and as such shoplifting will probably not be as a high a priority as other crime.
It's very unbecoming to be chasing shoplifters around anyway. Best to ID them from CCTV and then knock on their door at 0600.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member Achievements

8 hours ago, Reasonable Man said:

More fake news. The officer put it poorly but what has been said was that the police will have to (continue) to prioritise and as such shoplifting will probably not be as a high a priority as other crime.
It's very unbecoming to be chasing shoplifters around anyway. Best to ID them from CCTV and then knock on their door at 0600.

Not very man hours economical, and if I may say the lazy way.

Member Achievements

Not very man hours economical, and if I may say the lazy way.

Zulu, the world has moved on from old days.

I've read elsewhere someone quoting figures for Hungerford (which is he town in question) that it had 1 reported shoplifting in Dec2016 and 26 for the whole year.

Now my force hasn't been deploying officers to shoplifting where the offender has made off for a few years. Offender detained different matter.

Incident created, crime report taken over phone, offenders details circulated via PR with name/description. PCSO gets tasked to collect CCTV, then slow time allocated for officer to do follow up enqs.
5 people like this

Member Achievements

I've read elsewhere someone quoting figures for Hungerford (which is he town in question) that it had 1 reported shoplifting in Dec2016 and 26 for the whole year.

Now my force hasn't been deploying officers to shoplifting where the offender has made off for a few years. Offender detained different matter.

Incident created, crime report taken over phone, offenders details circulated via PR with name/description. PCSO gets tasked to collect CCTV, then slow time allocated for officer to do follow up enqs.

Indeed we have a similar approach. If the offender is still there or detained or in another store nearby under obs then we will turn up as an immediate if it's aggressive or likely to be. If a store phone up to say they watched someone on cctv stick a joint of beef down their pants and go out the door - and it was half an hour ago. The response will be much less and probably tasked for someone to sort out later when it's convenient and evidence put together. There's little point hovering over their shoulders when they have to burn cds off and write their statements up. One good thing about the security in our area, they have everything ready for you when you turn up, sometimes a few days worth.

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

2 people like this

Member Achievements

7 hours ago, Traffic Rat said:

Member Achievements

I agree

1 person likes this

Member Achievements

10 hours ago, Traffic Rat said:

Sadly not from the Old Days as you imply. I agree that offices would not be deployed when the offender has already made off successfully. However it would be different if the offender had assaulted a staff member and left them with serious injuries.  But, the article is not saying that. The Police Sergeant informed them that they would not attend shoplifters and when pressed said "If the loss was under £100. Now whether she likes it not, theft is theft full stop, and if someone has been detained then the Police should attend, irrespective.  The article also points out that the H.M. Inspectorate were also not impressed.  The Tax Payers Alliance condemned the statement as did the public, which they were entitled to do. We (that might upset some) owe the public a better service than that.

Quote from the article: "HM Inspectorate of Constabulary (HMIC), the independent watchdog that assesses the performance of the police earlier this month issued an unprecedented warning about under resourced forces.

The inspectorate said a shortage of detectives and investigators amounted to a "national crisis", while victims are being let down as police fail to carry out basic functions.

There are nearly 46,000 wanted suspects on the police database, including those being sought for murder, rape and terror offences, according to the latest figures from August last year.

Inspectors found evidence of some emergency calls being downgraded in order to justify a slower response and failings in responding to vulnerable victims.

Fewer arrests were made, a large number of crimes were effectively "written off", suspects were not always pursued and inexperienced officers were left to carry out complex investigations, the review found".

Now that is a condemnation, as I se it not of the officer on the street but by the higher authority, from the Governments for slashing funding for Policing to Senior Management implementing cuts in the wrong area, rolling over belly upwards to appease the Politicians.  The general public are not happy and you can not afford top lose their support.

My previous reply 2 hours ago was made from my tablet, and for some reason (maybe poor wifi) deleted these comments above.

Member Achievements

I agree with this stance, when security have detained someone and recovered the items is it really proportionate to take a police officer off the streets for a good few hours to deal with a low value theft? In an ideal world these jobs would be resourced but now it's important to prioritise. I understand store owners being upset but the problem is a lot of security guards will wait for someone to steal and then detain/call police rather than simply deter them in the first place. In some areas security get this and will try to deal themselves through civil recovery and store bans but it's probably not filtered to smaller/more rural areas of the country. 

Member Achievements

The problem with security being a deterrent is when the guard isn't there it's a field day. The idea behind using cctv is that the offenders do not know if they are being watched or not and heightens the risk. It could be that they know Games4Uz has dome cctv and many times they've nicked from there as they get near the door they are pounced on by security and end up off the streets for the day, which means they aren't going to score. Whilst ULmax next door has a security guard who usually hangs around near the foyer, but he's other end of the shop at the moment talking to the manager - perfect opportunity to grab some of those gift sets behind the clothes rail.

If security catch someone steeling and they are relatively subdued but don't want to give their name and the police aren't going to come because he stole a couple of boxes of lego.. Do they just let him go? Or hold onto him for an hour in the security room whilst his mates, now aware security are busy for while, can help themselves.

There has to be further considerations. Rather than its too expensive to prosecute.

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

Member Achievements

1 hour ago, mike88 said:

I agree with this stance, when security have detained someone and recovered the items is it really proportionate to take a police officer off the streets for a good few hours to deal with a low value theft? In an ideal world these jobs would be resourced but now it's important to prioritise. I understand store owners being upset but the problem is a lot of security guards will wait for someone to steal and then detain/call police rather than simply deter them in the first place. In some areas security get this and will try to deal themselves through civil recovery and store bans but it's probably not filtered to smaller/more rural areas of the country. 

Try looking at it from outside the box. You are the victim, you detain a shoplifter and the Police will not attend. You are not going to be very happy. Crime has a victim.

Member Achievements

We now assess all our jobs, of any type against what is a cost benefit analysis. 

The 1k+  it costs to take a shoplifter to court v the fact that it's almost pointless to do so as it doesn't actually do anything is important. 

The government and criminal justice system needs to get over itself and try a more realistic view of the world. Can't give a fixed penalty to someone who had recently so its off to court, resulting in a £45 fine instead of a £90. Plus all the court, custody, police costs. 

Not dealing with shoplifting isn't right or just and it lets the victim down. But there is no money left. 

We struggle to get to the non crime jobs, the ones the ipcc will prosecute for, done in any reasonable time. Something has to give, at the moment it's low level crime. 

Member Achievements

GMP don't even go to shoplifters where the offenders detained anymore unless they've refused their details to security. We then get a restricted officer to complete a proforma summons file if the store provide enough evidence. 

Member Achievements

I think what the force is proposing is a lot more focused than some posters are suggesting. Like when Devon and Cornwall said they would not deal with fuel bilkings a couple of years ago and the Daily Wail reported it as free fuel for criminals. The real story was if it appeared to be an innocent forgot to pay case where the car and registered keeper were not known, and no suggestion of pre planning then it was over to the garage to make contact with the keeper and ask for their money.
I really cannot see someone from a shop phoning in to say security are fighting with a shoplifter and the call taker asking, 'how much were the goods worth?'
'£99 you say. Well sorry that's below our threshold so we won't be coming.'
I am sure that this will be more a case of shop calling to say someone has made off with £20 of goods. Not identified and no CCTV. So the force will record the crime and file it.

3 people like this

Member Achievements