EPSTEIN

New Taser X2

53 posts in this topic

56 minutes ago, Bog Standard said:

I understand that all Taser hardware, such as pouches and skeleton holsters will be incompatible... Sneaky sneaky, Taser International!

That might actually be a good thing. Where I work the ammo pouches are rarer than rocking horse excrement.

At least if a load of new kit comes on order I have a chance of getting something which is only second or third hand, as opposed to my pouches, which have probably been in the job longer than I have.

Member Achievements

It's bigger than the old one in height but thinner. Nothing is compatible.

My force have already picked what we're have no and it's an improvement on the current vests. We just need the hardware

Sent from my iPad using Police Community

Member Achievements

Thats the X2 next to an X26 and also an X2 in someones hand for size

8614272.jpg

29766e2a37e979b18d18c428ff9c5aba_XL.jpg

1 person likes this

Member Achievements

It's huge!

Member Achievements

In fairness, the X26 is tiny. It only starts to look a reasonable size when you throw a cartridge on the bottom.

Member Achievements

On the subject of taser, slightly off topic but very relevant. Anyone see in the new today about the incident in Wolverhampton. Unarmed officers sent to address with male armed with a knife, taser was deployed but ineffective, one officer stabbed.

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

Member Achievements

Posted (edited)

18 minutes ago, NCFPA said:

On the subject of taser, slightly off topic but very relevant. Anyone see in the new today about the incident in Wolverhampton. Unarmed officers sent to address with male armed with a knife, taser was deployed but ineffective, one officer stabbed.

This small quote makes it sound like armed officers were not initially responding:

Supt Keith Fraser, from West Midlands Police, said unarmed officers who had entered the property to protect people inside were confronted by a man with a knife and they "deployed their Taser, which was initially ineffective".

He said armed officers had "then been requested to support the unarmed officers" and they "have used stun grenades to distract the armed man".

But the stun grenades were "ineffective we believe in relation to trying to stop this man from attacking officers".

Police at the scene Image captionPolice remained at the scene of the stabbing on Wednesday afternoon

One officer received a "stab wound to the arm" and the other sustained a leg injury after being chased by the suspect, Supt Fraser said.

"I want to stress that the man was armed so we had to act quickly and officers did that."

Mick Brice, a taxi driver, was near the scene when he said he saw "12 or 14 police cars".

A "paramilitary-style" police vehicle came "screaming down the road" and on to the scene, Mr Brice said, before he saw two officers take something out of the back and enter the flats.

Taken from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-39206227

Edited by James255

Member Achievements

This is what I have to keep reminding people, taser is not the solution, it is simply another tactical option. There is no way unarmed officers should be sent to a residential address with a male armed with a knife, unless it is a immediate threat to save life, which it would appear in this case, it was.

5 people like this

Member Achievements

3 minutes ago, James255 said:

This small quote makes it sound like armed officers were not initially responding:

Taken from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-39206227

Unfortunately this happens across the UK every single day!

Unarmed officers are deployed when the criteria for the deployment of armed officers has clearly been met. Control room supervisors, who are accredited TFC'S all to often use unarmed staff to confirm or negate a threat or to gather more information/intelligence. This is in contradiction of the NDM.

If the federation had any backbone this is what it should be tackling, not lobbying foran increase to firearms staff but the correct deployment of existing staff. I hope a near miss health and safety report is submitted but I doubt it.

Member Achievements

Posted (edited)

13 minutes ago, Remmy said:

Unarmed officers are deployed when the criteria for the deployment of armed officers has clearly been met. Control room supervisors, who are accredited TFC'S all to often use unarmed staff to confirm or negate a threat or to gather more information/intelligence. This is in contradiction of the NDM.

If the federation had any backbone this is what it should be tackling, not lobbying foran increase to firearms staff but the correct deployment of existing staff. I hope a near miss health and safety report is submitted but I doubt it.

It's completely unacceptable.  One case that really annoyed me was that man in the tube station who stabbed someone. Taser officers arrived first and the taser didn't work a couple of times. There was no lethal cover.

Edited by James255

Member Achievements

I'd be seeing the TFC in court if I'd have been stabbed. Not for cash but to challenge their rationale for not replying AFOs. They seem to think HiVis means bullet proof. 

Member Achievements

1 hour ago, Remmy said:

As ever, Sgt Harry Tangye writes a nice piece on the use of Taser, moreover he makes reference to this point.

' Control rooms sending Taser officers to violent persons with knives thinking they are covered with taser will be bitten one day.  We will attend a Police funeral before long if some continue to do that.  By all means get the taser there to protect the public in the interim, but get the Armed Response there too so they can use other less lethal options at greater distances and have a conventional solution if all other efforts have been considered, tried, but failed. '

I am completely in agreement on this, and as taser becomes more available to local officers, i fear these types of situations will increase, it all relates to the same problem. Not enough officers. 

I think I've said it before, taser has many reasons why it fails, and does so with some frequency, be it a thick jacket, not enough spread from the barbs, missing, miss op, etc... for certain jobs there needs to be contingencies and cover, in the from of lethal options.

1 person likes this

Member Achievements

Posted (edited)

The incident in Wolverhampton is another example where it's blind luck none of the initial officers responding were killed. We've got to be one of the only nations that has an expectation that officers should put themselves in this level of danger yet politicians think our system is the best in the world because we're primarily 'unarmed.' Why is it a good thing to not be issued to kit to do your job safely?

Edited by mike88
1 person likes this

Member Achievements

The incident in Wolverhampton is another example where it's blind luck none of the initial officers responding were killed. We've got to be one of the only nations that has an expectation that officers should put themselves in this level of danger yet politicians think our system is the best in the world because we're primarily 'unarmed.' Why is it a good thing to not be issued to kit to do your job safely?

It would've been interesting if an ARV was first on scene, no doubt we would be getting a press release from the IPCC saying police have killed someone in Wolverhampton, oh and on the day the IPCC get told they are under 'criminal investigation'

I won't criticise the TFC on this incident as I am not aware of the force policy on deployments and authorisations and the facts are not clear. What is very clear there is a near miss at least from the officers initially attending, must have been frightening, really frightening.

Member Achievements

30 minutes ago, NCFPA said:

I won't criticise the TFC on this incident as I am not aware of the force policy on deployments and authorisations

That's the issue. A knife in GMP carries the same risk as one in the MET, PSNI and NYPD. Yet there's a different response in all of them. 

Member Achievements