Chief Bakes

BBC: Prison officers in 31 jails set for pay rises of up to £5,000

19 posts in this topic

I was about to say.

Servicemen are no less naughty than the rest of the population but their discipline generally means that when sober they retain a healthy respect for authority. People who constantly refuse to comply with the system receive a certain level of self regulation from their peers, whereas the rest of the public seem to revel in people disobeying 'the system'.

2 people like this

Member Achievements

I would counter that if discipline was instilled in prison - and stuff the lovey-dovey nicey-nicey do-gooders - then I think we might start making progress. Until then we will just sit here shaking our heads in horror all saying 'something needs to change' as all the while things get worse.

It cannot be right that prisoners are ruling the roost in any shape or form. Like I say, prisons should be warm, dry, safe and secure; they should not be places of bullying or violence. To see some of the scenes we all know that goes on but has been proven by video, is horrifying.

Member Achievements

39 minutes ago, David said:

I would counter that if discipline was instilled in prison - and stuff the lovey-dovey nicey-nicey do-gooders - then I think we might start making progress. Until then we will just sit here shaking our heads in horror all saying 'something needs to change' as all the while things get worse.

It cannot be right that prisoners are ruling the roost in any shape or form. Like I say, prisons should be warm, dry, safe and secure; they should not be places of bullying or violence. To see some of the scenes we all know that goes on but has been proven by video, is horrifying.

Totally agree, a proper robust routine with the emphasis on self sufficiency would make the world of difference.  Prisons should be self sufficient, we as tax payers shouldn't be paying for offenders to have clean cells and have few food cooked for them. 

Accommodation should be the austere at best with rewards hard ear training and easy lost, prison officers should be able to levy additional restrictions for poor discipline. 

Cell and person searches should be random and robust by dedicated teams, staff should rotate (to a degree) to prevent staff being complaisant  or corrupted.  

From my limited experience of visiting prisons, the quality of staff is generally poor and the pay and conditions doesn't foster any dedication or belonging for the staff.  The old and bold prison officers must despair at the state of what was a real professional job and I truly feel for them.   

Edited by funkywingnut

Member Achievements

The answer to this particular issue, not the many, many others facing HMPS right now is simple.

Return to pre-2009 pay scales and rank structures with a 5% consolidated pay rise for all staff whilst bringing back national recruitment. This would enable the service to post people where they're required instead of localised recruitment to specific jails. When I joined HMPS you got a brown envelope in your last week at training school and within was your posting. Yes there were tears and the odd person quit but for the most part people just got on with it because they knew what they were signing up for.

The current wages are terrible and nobody in the South East will do the job for it. The old pay scales weren't half bad and would attract suitable candidates in good numbers.

The Tories would also be able to blame Labour and score some political kudos in doing so because they embarked upon this fools errand in 2008.

I really can't believe that the once proud, disciplined organisation I joined as a boy has become such a shambles in the last few years. It's heartbreaking to be quite honest and I feel for my former colleagues who are living through it.

3 people like this

Member Achievements